Re: cannot login in xdm anymore (upgrade potato -> potato)

On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 09:03:25PM +0100, Richard P. Groenewegen wrote:
> [2] Logging in is still impossible: my password is accepted but
>     apparently I cannot connect to the X-server (here is my
>     .xsession-errors:)
>
>       Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>       Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>       xrdb: Can't open display ':0'
>       Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>     After less than a second, the login screen is there again.
>
> This is both a cry for help as a (not so precise) bug-report.  I'm
> happy to give whatever information you might need about (configuration
> files on my) computer.

I have seen a similar symptom on 1 out of three computers that I have
running
potato.  In my case, I am not running xdm but gdm and I am able to log
in and
run any X applications from the GUI but if I try to run one from a
command line
in a a terminal, I get the same message.

This happens only when I am using a Gnome session.  With a Debian
session it works
fine.  Furthermore, as root there are no problems.  Since I am seeing
this on one
of three machines which are presumabley set up in the same way, I am
presuming that
it is some incorrect configuration file somewhere.  If anyone has an
insight, I would appreciate it.  My next move is to purge all X packages
and reinstall...

Carlo Segre
Assoc. Prof. of Physics
Illinois Institute of Technology