Re: So, what's up with the XFree86 4.0 .debs?

Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 02:22:10AM +0000, Edward Betts wrote:
> > I thought the plan was to drop support for ISA VGA cards in 4.x, so people
> > who want to keep using old hardware HAVE to stick with 3.3.x
>
> If so, that's news to me and I've been following the XFree86 developers'
> list for months.  Support for the ISA bus is not being dropped.  Whether
> the legacy hardware is supported depends on if anybody ports the old 3.3.x
> drivers to the new server model or not.

Okay. I am being vague and annoying. I will give some flesh to my rambling. I
went to Linux Kongress in Germany last year and saw a talk on XFree86 4 by
some of the XFree86 developers. They said `Hands up people in the audience who
are using ISA VGA cards' and then said they would not support them in XFree86.
They said that the core developers probably will not be providing drivers, if
other people write drivers and are willing to MAINTAIN them then they will go
in. The deal was that they did not want drivers without people committed to
looking after them and updating them.

But then again I might be wrong.

> > You are going to keep /usr/X11R6 for this release right? I guess that the
> > XFree86 people might get a bit irritated if you tried to drop it.
>
> Actually, I've evilly been toying with the idea of #defining ProjectRoot to
> /usr for 4.0.  Upstream has already moved almost entirely to the way Debian
> currently does things as far as filesystem layout goes.

Go on! Do it!

#define ProjectRoot /usr

I dare you.

--