Re: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 09:39:52AM +1100, Drake Diedrich wrote:
> New hardware support seems to be a reasonable justification for allowing
> new versions into stable/frozen if there is also an older version there
> for the rest of us to fall back on in case it's a lemon.

This would be valid, however, sometimes new drives aren't tested well,
or are even marked as "EXPERIMENTAL" in the kernel configuration; so
it's really hard to determine whether we want a possibly buggy driver
("buggy" ranging from spelling errors in printks :) to hardware fsckups)
in the distribution, compared to no driver at all...

But anyway: providing kernel *source* in the stable distribution for the
bleeding-edge kernel versions would do fine. kernel-source-2.2.1 is in
slink, and I haven't noticed anyone complaining. OTOH if there was a binary
kernel-image-2.2.1 there, several RC bugs would have to be filed. Someone
should upload kernel-source-2.3.<whatever>, too... shouldn't be much work.

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name