Re: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

Steve Greenland (stevegr@debian.org) wrote:

> Let's see, we're going to release potato (I *hope*) before kernel 2.4.0
> is released, but we're outdated. Hmmm. Somehow, I just don't get it.

what that means is that we've almost totally missed the 2.2 kernel. we're an
entire release cycle behind. there's a plethora of hardware and features
that we just flat out can't do with our 'stable' distribtion. people will be
expecting to see the 2.4 kernel when we finally release potato.

for a brief list of the things a stable installation debian can't do, see:

http://www.kernelnotes.org/wonderful22.html	Wonderfull world of 2.2
http://www.kernelnotes.org/whatsnew22.html	What's new in 2.2
http://www.kernelnotes.org/change23.html	2.3.x Changelog

i don't really expect to see 2.4 in potato. i do however hope that it won't
be another year before we see people giving out Debian 2.4 CDs at the LUG
meetings.

--
(jacob kuntz)                    jpk@cape.com jake@{megabite,underworld}.net
(megabite systems)                       "think free speech, not free beer."