Re: Packages to remove from frozen

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 10:48:07PM +0100, Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Tue 07 Mar 2000, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >
> >         Well, you can tell them that the servers are buggy, and
> >  perhaps get the ssh server fixed? Espescially since there is a
> >  workaround to stop seeing the message.
> >
> >         I think openssh is doing the right thing here.
>
> I've noticed a different problem with openssh:
>
> Whenever I connect to a system that's listed in my /etc/hosts,
> a DNS lookup is _still_ done.
> (nsswitch.conf has "files dns", so that's not the problem)

I have the same problem... it appears to only do that on unqualified
names.  ('foo' vs 'foo.example.com')  As I recall, it didn't do that
originally when openssh replaced non-free-ssh, but in the last month or
so.

It's annoying to me as well, since the machine I'm usually using doesn't
have the modem, so I ssh to the machine with a modem and now have to
specify the full hostname.  (And, nope, I don't have ISDN, since it's
per-minute and real money...   demand dialing on a modem, um, sucks :))

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting