Re: Upgrade to potato impossible?

On Sat, Feb 26, 2000 at 12:03:26AM -0300, Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:
> > Yeah, it assumes I could actually code to save my life. And that I really
> > need readlink.
>
>  You can replace readlink with this function. I have created it for `bug'
> when I discovered that realpath isn't standard (as it should).

And here's the implementation I've been using for a very long time with the
X maintainer scripts, which is simpler than yours but requires perl.  (I
think Joey Hess wrote this.)

readlink () {
  # perl kludge until readlink(1) from tetex-bin is moved into an essential package
  # returns what symlink actually points to
  perl -e '$l = shift; exit 1 unless -l $l; $r = readlink $l; exit 1 unless $r; print "$r\n"' $1;
}

Not sure we want libc6 pre-depending on perl, though ( >>shudder<< ), so
something written in pure sh might be the way to go.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |
Debian GNU/Linux               |     The software said it required Windows