Another slink->potato upgrade issue

This one may be my own fault: My /etc/environment had a setting for
MANPATH which didn't include /usr/share/man. This meant a significant
chunk of my man pages were innaccesible until I tracked down where it
was being set and who was running it (PAM, not /etc/profile, for those
keeping score at home). My question is where did that setting come from?
Did it get put here by the slink install, or some package, or have I
just forgetten putting it there myself ages ago to solve a problem that
was (slightly fewer) ages ago? (The box in was originally a bo install
- Debian upgrades rule!) Is it worth having the man-db package grep
/etc/profile and /etc/environment for MANPATH, and warning the admin?

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <vmole@swbell.net>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read