ld and man segfaults

Greetings.  This is my first post, and I hope that I am not making
  a stupid mistake somewhere.  I installed debian 2.1 on a
  SparcStation 1 last fall, and just upgraded to potato (frozen)
  this week (I did not run it between now and then).  I am getting
  the following errors:

Processign manual pages under /usr/man...
Updating index cache for path '/usr/man'. Wait...Segmentation fault

and, on a makefile containing the following:

	@echo 'yay!  Make works!'

I get the following output:
Segmentation fault
You have invoked `ld.so', the helper program for shared library executables
[and onward, edited for space considerations]

What could be causing this?  Some machine configuration info:
  *SparcStation 1 (Yes, I know.  It's slow. :)
  *default kernel for Debian 2.1 (2.2.1)
  *apt-get update 'ed just prior to running the above.
More info available upon request.

"Have the appropriate amount of fun."
                         _Programming_Perl_, (2nd Ed.) page 34