Re: ITP: devfsd

On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 10:24:16PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Elie Rosenblum wrote:
> > I like the idea of a program you can run that updates a file (like
> > /etc/devfs/debian_dev.conf) that is sourced with a devfsd.conf
> > OPTIONAL_INCLUDE directive, using data pulled from makedev's
> > information source. It can then be overridden by /etc/devfs/local.conf
> > by the user, and the default /etc/devfs/devfsd.conf would just by
> > default do OPTIONAL_INCLUDE on both files.
> I like this, it would be nice if the debian default for all entries was
> nicely defined and stored in a file that is updated on upgrades. The local
> admin can edit 'some other' config file to change things around. I always
> seem to have /dev files with the wrong permissions *bother*

Aye. What I envision is a program that dumps makedev's database into
debian_dev.conf, with local.conf overriding it.

Then something like the proposed directory with rules for making deb
specific symlinks and such, for things other than just standard dev

Elie Rosenblum                 That is not dead which can eternal lie,
http://www.cosanostra.net   And with strange aeons even death may die.
Admin / Mercenary / System Programmer             - _The Necronomicon_