TrueType and xfs

Hello,

I would like to know an answer, what is the reason for _not including_
Juliusz Chroboczek's xfsft patches in Debian XFree packages? These
patches add some very nice functionality to xfs: TrueType fonts backend
_and_ font reencoding (if, f.ex. Type1 or Speedo font contains glyphs
for ISO-8859-2, it constructs needed encoding from them, without any
fonts.alias files; the only thing needed is a line with -iso8859-2 in
fonts.scale/dir). It understands also subsettings of bigger encodings.
(More exact information is to be found on JEC homepage,
http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jec/programs/xfsft/) I've tried other
TT-serving font servers, but... xfstt does not use the proper
-foundry-family- scheme, and well; xfs-xtt does not offer such a
functionality as reencoding [or I didn't found it in the
documentation].

The question itself: why does Debian XFree distribution *not* use this
patch?

regards,
Jubal

--
[ Miros/law L Baran, baran-at-knm-org-pl, neg IQ, cert AI ] [ 0101010 is ]
[ BOF2510053411, makabra.knm.org.pl/~baran/, alchemy pany ] [ The Answer ]

            It is Fortune, not wisdom that rules man's life.