Re: x-terminal, $TERM, key binding, etc

On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 04:32:00PM +1100, Chanop Silpa-Anan was heard to say:
> Recently xterm(3.3.6-2)  just export $TERM as xterm and was meant to close bug
> #55027
>
> "Since the terminal type xterm is now an alias for xterm-debian, there is no
> reason why xterm (the program) should report itself as xterm-debian anymore,
> so
> the line "termName: xterm-debian" can be removed from the app-defaults file."
>
> I think there's still a good reasons because xterm definition on debian and
> xterm definition on other unix machine (I tested with Sun box running Solaris
> 2.5.1). In my case, I have xterm-debian terminfo file set up correctly on Sun
> box, so I could use BS and DEL key correctly with elvis. If I use $TERM=xterm,
> those keys would not work any more. And that's annoying for me.

  I agree.  This makes interoperation of, say, Debian and Solaris rather
painful, especially if you had everything set up properly before the change.
Previously you only had problems when connecting to the Solaris machine from
the Debian one, and these could be solved by copying the xterm-debian terminfo
definitions over.  Now connecting in both directions is broken, and without some
hacking there's no good way around -- simply redefining the xterm entry will
cause things not to work right when you're at the console of that system.

  Daniel

  Daniel

--
"...drums...drums in the deep!"