Re: debconf help

On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 01:57:20PM -0800, Joey Hess was heard to say:
> Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > debconf: trying frontend Dialog
> > debconf: <-- FSET test/foo isdefault true
> > debconf: --> 0 true
> > debconf: <-- INPUT high test/foo
> > debconf: --> 30
> > debconf: <-- GO
> > debconf: --> 0
> > (nothing happens)
> >
> >   That 30 seems to indicate that the question is being skipped because the
> > 'isdefault' flag is false, if I understand the documentation correctly.
>
> The 30 just means it was skipped, it doesn't tell why. It might be skipped
> because you have your debconf priority set to "critical". Since only root
> can read the debconf database, only when debconf runs as root will it use
> that priority setting, which probably explains why you're seeing different
> behaviors as root and as a user. I'd suggest reconfiguring debconf and
> picking a lower priority.

  I have my debconf priority set to low.  I think I should hav deleted this
comment because, as I mentioned later, there are some more useful error
messages which might help explain why I can't even run dpkg-reconfigure debconf.

  (looks at debconf db with 'less', blinks)
  My debconf priority seems to have been silently reset to critical.  I know
I selected "low" last time it asked.  Anyway, here's what happens on
dpkg-reconfigure debconf:

bluegreen:/tmp> env DEBCONF_DEBUG=2 sudo dpkg-reconfigure debconf
debconf: trying frontend Dialog
debconf: starting /var/lib/dpkg/info/debconf.config reconfigure 0.2.80.1
debconf: <-- VERSION 2.0
debconf: --> 0 2.0
debconf: <-- CAPB backup
debconf: --> 0 multiselect backup
debconf: <-- BEGINBLOCK
debconf: --> 0
debconf: <-- INPUT medium debconf/frontend
debconf: Trying to make element of type Noninteractive::Select
debconf: --> 30
debconf: <-- INPUT medium debconf/priority
debconf: Trying to make element of type Noninteractive::Select
debconf: --> 30
debconf: <-- ENDBLOCK
debconf: --> 0
debconf: <-- GO
debconf: preparing to ask questions
debconf: --> 0
debconf: <-- BEGINBLOCK
debconf: --> 0
debconf: <-- INPUT low debconf/preconfig
debconf: Trying to make element of type Noninteractive::Boolean
debconf: Failed with Can't locate Debian/DebConf/Element/Noninteractive/Boolean.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.005 /usr/local/lib/site_perl/i386-linux /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5 .) at (eval 10) line 2, <GEN0> chunk 9.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 10) line 2, <GEN0> chunk 9.

debconf: --> 30
debconf: <-- INPUT low debconf/showold
debconf: Trying to make element of type Noninteractive::Boolean
debconf: Failed with Can't locate Debian/DebConf/Element/Noninteractive/Boolean.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.005 /usr/local/lib/site_perl/i386-linux /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5 .) at (eval 11) line 2, <GEN0> chunk 10.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 11) line 2, <GEN0> chunk 10.

debconf: --> 30
debconf: <-- ENDBLOCK
debconf: --> 0
debconf: <-- GO
debconf: preparing to ask questions
debconf: --> 0
debconf: starting /var/lib/dpkg/info/debconf.postinst configure 0.2.80.1
debconf: <-- GET debconf/preconfig
debconf: --> 0 true

  It might be that these problems are due to the fact it's already asked the
questions, but shouldn't dpkg-reconfigure override that?  Ahhh, I think I see
the problem: if your priority is set to "critical", you cannot change it this
way!  The priority question is asked at priority "medium".  Shouldn't this be
changed?

  One other thing: /var/lib/debconf/debconf.db and /etc/debconf.cfg disagree:
debconf.db says that my priority is set to "critical" (which is certainly how
things are behaving), while /etc/debconf.cfg says it's set to "low" (which is
what I expected, and which I thought I selected in debconf itself)  Which one
is authoritative?

   Thanks again,
  Daniel

--
There is something in the pang of change
More than the heart can bear,