boot from > 8GB (Re: [POSSIBLE GRAVE SECURITY HOLD])

Hi.

In article <20000207143026.A13114@cosanostra.net>,
  at 7 Feb 00 19:30:26 GMT,
    on Re: [POSSIBLE GRAVE SECURITY HOLD],
 fnord@cosanostra.net (Elie Rosenblum) writes:

> On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 11:24:41AM +0000, Malcolm Parsons wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 05:01:01PM -0500, Elie Rosenblum wrote:
> >
> > > * Support for accessing large disks (>8G) has been added.  This means
> > >   that the active partition doesn't have to be within the first 8G for
> > >   the MBR to load it's boot sector.  The new code will be used on
> > >   systems which support it.
> >
> > So why does lilo still not let me make a partition outside the first 8Gb
> > bootable?
> >
> > bash-2.03$ sudo lilo -v
> > LILO version 21, Copyright 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
> >
> > Reading boot sector from /dev/hda2
> > Merging with /boot/boot.b
> > Warning: device 0x0302 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit
> > geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (1943 > 1023)
>
> Because lilo can't handle it that way, obviously.

I saw the EDD support in the code of lilo v22. It was once introduced
in unstable potato, and then retracted because the problem that it can
not boot up Linux 2.2.x on some machines. I have not seen those problems
on my system, and keep using that by holding lilo package.

 $ dpkg -l |grep lilo
hi  lilo           22dev0-1       LInux LOader - The Classic OS loader can loa

I have not tested it's ability of booting from > 8GB though,
because my main machine only has 6GB disk ;)

> Where did I say lilo could? I said mbr can.

the sample code of extipl claims that it can do this also. I test it
on another machine which is on my office (secretly :). And it can boot
the Debian and Win-NT, with simple switching by hitting shift key and
enter the number of the partition at the boot time. I think mbr can
do the same thing.

And I have heard that recent (CVS version) grub can boot up the linux
from > 8GB area. In the changelog, it may be implemented since July or
August in last year.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>