WARNING: base-files in current potato nukes /var/spool/mail contents

Package: base-files
Version: 2.1.16
Severity: critical

!!! WARNING !!!

Current potato destroys your /var/spool/mail contents, nuking everyones
spool without questions.

I am not 110% sure that it's because of base-files, but that is the most
likely one to be the cause of this critical problem, given this entry in its
changelog:

  * Mail spool is /var/mail as per FHS (only in new installs).

and some magic with directories and symlinks in postinst.  Yes, it did
install /var/mail, but NO, this was not a new install. I dist-upgrade'd this
machine yesterday as well.

Remco (no, don't talk about backups. Yes I have them. No I do not have
       backups of mail received the last 12hrs or so. Extremely pissed now).

-- System Information
Debian Release: 2.2
Architecture: i386
Kernel: Linux oloon 2.2.14 #2 Thu Jan 6 14:27:41 CET 2000 i586

Versions of packages base-files depends on:
ii  base-passwd                   3.1.7      Debian Base System Password/Group
ii  gawk [awk]                    1:3.0.4-2  GNU awk, a pattern scanning and pr
ii  mawk [awk]                    1.3.3-5    a pattern scanning and text proces

-- Configuration Files:
/etc/issue.net changed [not included]
/etc/motd changed [not included]
/etc/profile changed [not included]