Re: Debdiff project announcement.

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 05:15:42PM -0500, Jacob Kuntz wrote:

> rsync uses a uniq protocol for sending only the uniqness of the file over
> the link. you can read more about how it does this at
> http://rsync.samba.org/rsync/tech_report/. this requires slightly more cpu
> work on the server end, but the required bandwidth would be reduced for all
> parties involved. installing a new package wouldn't be any faster, but
> upgrading would be instantaneous.

    As someone else has already mentioned, I believe that .deb files
do not diff well yet.  Someone was working on a way of handling the
compression in such a fashion that small changes in the internal
contents of a .deb WOULD only result in small changes to the resulting
archive, but I'm not entirely sure what happened to that.

> InfoWorld recently (along with many misquotes) pointed out that Debian
> (which is controlled by Corel) has put a lot of work into online updates. i
    I really, really hope that that the above underscored is one of
the many misquotes.  Someone needs to send them a polite letter if
they actually blankly said that.
    Actually, if what you wrote is true, someone probably needs to
send them a letter explaining things anyway.  If anything, Debian is
closer to controlling Corel's distribution than the other way around.

--
Zed Pobre <zed@debian.org> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <zed@resonant.org>
PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.