Re: installing potato

Hi, I agree with some of this.

> Date:    Thu, 03 Feb 2000 18:35:38 +0100
> To:      debian-devel@lists.debian.org
> From:    "Matus \"fantomas\" Uhlar" <uhlar@fantomas.sk>
> Subject: installing potato
>
> Hello,
>
> i tried to install potato on my machine  and there are more things i'd like
> to change:
>
> when I try to install base system from disk, i define complete path to given
> files, I think that devices.tgz and base2_2.tgz don't need to be in
> subdirectories like dists/potato/main/disks-i386/etc

There are organizational reasons for that. However, a link to the latest
disk set might be a good idea, and maybe that should be a link to a farm
of links named for architectures to the current disk sets.

So maybe under debian/dists/potato, there should be a link called "install"
pointing to a dir containing "i386", "alpha", "m68k", "mips", etc that link
to main/disks-<arch>/current.

> i defined full path to subdirectory where following
> and the installation stopped cause it didn't find those dirs... don't you
> think that sux ?

Yes, I do. In my opinion, the person installing should be able to
browse the archive. Maybe everything isn't at /debian, maybe it's at
/pub/linux/distributions/debian (as it is on many mirrors; let me
browse to find it if it's not an official mirror.

> another problem ... after installation i had azerty keyboard. i _did_ define
> qwerty :(

I noticed that once too. Are you sure you have the latest floppy images?
the version number we're trying out now is 2.2.5-2000-01-?? (31?)

> also, when i choose "mount a previously initialized partition" it doesn't
> fsck...

Maybe it should ask and then do so if you say yes.

-Jim

---
Jim Lynch       Finger for pgp key
as Laney College CIS admin:  jim@laney.edu   http://www.laney.edu/~jim/