Re: Developement of a new postcript converter.

On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 12:30:39PM +0100, Torsten Landschoff wrote:

> > - Unix user will be happy to make word processing ... presentation ...
> > I'am very frustate to use windows for printing in high quality. (I have a
> > deskjet 880C).
>
> Please write to HP asking for the specs. Surely someone would want to write
> the code. I would do it if I had such a printer.
There is allready a driver for the 880C out there, however the license is
incompatible with the gs-aladdin license and thus can not be included in the
debian package, AFAIK.
http://www.proaxis.com/~mgelhaus/linux/software/hp880c/hp880c.html

I have an 880C and I built a debian package with this driver for my own use,
its working neat, I might dig out the deb and give it to you, if thats not
illegal...
I might also let Torsten put his hands on the printer for a short time, but
he is busy with his studies ;-)

Another problem with this driver is, its not so easy to add it to the
existing debian package, since some magical patching is performed during the
build process. So it seems not to be possible (without major work?) to
prepare the gs package to include this driver. It has to be done in a way to
allow several drivers to be built and you just select by a switch in the
rules which one is used. At least thats how I understood the debian package.

Christian