Last night I did some changes to my /etc/hosts.allow file and accidently
deleted the newline after 'sendmail: all'. Of course this causes libwrap to
not like the file anymore. However, there seems to be a bug in there because
it created some strange log messages (cannot include them now since I write
from a different machine, but can send them later) containing lot's of non
Anyway, this caused sendmail to not deliver all mail I retrieved through
fetchmail. But it did accept the mail since fetchmail gladly flushed the
mailboxes. AFAICT sendmail did not bounce the mail either it just
disappeared. I'm not sure about that but I did not get a resend either and I
supposes some of the guys who send me mail would have tried a second time.
This IMO is untolerable behaviour (if sendmail really threw it away) and not
suitable at all for a product called stable. I'm going to switch to postfix
now (well I planned on doing this earlier so it is not really a result of
Also I send out a similar mail last night too, but so far did not see it on
the list. I get the feeling my provider also has some serious problems.
Michael Meskes | Go SF 49ers!
Th.-Heuss-Str. 61, D-41812 Erkelenz | Go Rhein Fire!
Tel.: (+49) 2431/72651 | Use Debian GNU/Linux!
Email: Michael@Fam-Meskes.De | Use PostgreSQL!