Re: Mail loss!

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 06:23:57PM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
[]
> Anyway, this caused sendmail to not deliver all mail I retrieved through
> fetchmail. But it did accept the mail since fetchmail gladly flushed the
> mailboxes. AFAICT sendmail did not bounce the mail either it just
> disappeared. I'm not sure about that but I did not get a resend either and I
> supposes some of the guys who send me mail would have tried a second time.
>
> This IMO is untolerable behaviour (if sendmail really threw it away) and not
> suitable at all for a product called stable. I'm going to switch to postfix

FWIW, it may be a fetchmail problem as it also hapens with exim. For
example, if you forget to allow mail from localhost in exim.conf, then
obviously fetchmail can't deliver and you loose your mail (or at least
you did about 6 months ago). Can you reproduce this with postfix?

Perhaps fetchmail should be able to dump to a file somewhere and
produce a warning if this can be done securely.

Regards,
Mark.