Re: potato missing /dev's

 Steve> On 30-Jan-00, 13:03 (CST), Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
 >> Steve Greenland wrote:
 >> > devices in the current directory. I suppose there is some
 >> > traditional reason why this is so, but I'm very tempted to
 >> > report a fatal bug against it.
 >>
 >> Gah.
 >>
 >> Is there _anyone_ out there who has read the definitions of the
 >> bug tracking severities?

 Steve> Yes, I have, and I use them correctly when I actually report
 Steve> bugs. This was an offhand remark. Besides, "fatal" isn't a
 Steve> severity level.

 Steve> Don't you think that the fact that MAKEDEV, when run outside
 Steve> of /dev (by root, of course), creates the devices files in the
 Steve> current directory is a severe design flaw? With not even an

No.  For several reasons:

1) It's perfectly reasonable for someone to want device files that
   don't happen to reside in /dev.
2) The script isn't in /bin or /sbin.  It's in /dev.

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@ioa.com>         |  Blessed Be!
@    http://www.ioa.com/~dres           |  Linux is kewl!