Re: mutt and ncurses

Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it> wrote:

>  >> Should I compile it with ncurses 5 for slink?
>  >no: ncurses 5 is not available for slink.
> Oops. I Actually was thinking potato.
> Please advise...

IIRC we discussed this some weeks ago.  I personally prefer ncurses
(Thomas Roessler, the upstream maintainer, also does so), because this
handles "default colors" much better than SLang (the latter one needs
an environment variable to be set, to work correct).

Someone (Wichert or Brandon?) suggested to use SLang, because this
creates less traffic to the terminal.  I just tried this out myself
using
 mutt -R -f=mutt-dev > out
and then pressing the following keys: Home Return n n n q q y
This opens a folder, jumps to the first message, shows this message
and the three following messages and quits mutt after this.  With this
I created the following three out files:

-rw-r--r--    1 roland   wizard      13526 Jan 31 22:54 ncurses4
-rw-r--r--    1 roland   wizard      13563 Jan 31 22:47 ncurses5
-rw-r--r--    1 roland   wizard      12389 Jan 31 22:47 slang

IMHO the difference is not too grave, so we can step over to ncurses5.

But please change the muttrc to use "default" instead of "black" as
the background color.

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--