Re: Community membership

In article <[🔎] 20000130222342.A2095@visi.net> Ben Collins wrote:

> Membership froze because the new maintainer team felt we were letting
> people into Debian too easily. In other words, maintainers that were MIA
> in a few months, leaving us with unmaintained packages, and other issues.

I wonder if another reason behind this is the possibility of
Trojan horses?  I'm reading "Open Sources - Voices from the Open
Source Revolution" and Bruce Perens mentions this as a potential
problem in his contribution to the book.  He just mentions it in
passing as one of the things that could hurt Linux's reputation.

I hadn't thought of this mainly because exploits are found and
fixed quickly but I wonder if it factored in to the quiet freeze.

The book is also online at O'Reilly.

Rick
--
younie@home.com