Re: CONFIRM'ing replies only in smartlist for announcement lists

"Mr. Christopher F. Miller" <cfm@maine.com> writes:

> > How about a "shameless-plug:" archive control field, so that when
> > people install "majordomo" it says "Say, did you know that the Debian
> > project recommends the `smartlist' package for mailing list
> > functionality"?  :-)
> There is a LOT we can learn from each other.  It could be as simple
> (and automated) as a count of what's installed on various "classes"
> of systems.
> <your_smtp_mailer> register@debian.org -s my_registration < dpkg --get-selections
> Setting the "classes" would be the hard part:
> eg quake on 1 workstation or an ISP running minivend, etc....

Hmm.  A nice idea, but that implementation would probably not yield
very useful statistics as things stand at present.

Also, I think ideally you want people in the know to make this sort of
decision through open debates, rather than surveying the usually
ignorant or apathetic users.  Otherwise we'll all end up using VHS
rather than Betamax.
--
Sam Vilain, sam@vilain.net        WWW: http://www.vilain.net/~sam/
GPG public key: http://www.vilain.net/~sam/gpgkey.txt