RE: Cowpland FreeOS interview: "Corel to develop its own distribu tion"

> The interview is talking about Corel's relationship with the
> Open Source community, and still it doesn't mention Debian with
> a single word. To me it pretty much sounds like Corel starts to
> playing foul--not that they're obliged to mention Corel Linux'
> Debian ancestorship, but this kind of PR is on the edge of being
> untrue.

While it may be somewhat of a blow to our collective 'ego' that they
don't acknowledge our contributions, we must remember that our
licensing does not require any such notification.

The other issue is that these so-called Linux "reviews" really review
nothing more than the initial installation.  If you read them, the
articles are peppered with references to the "graphical install" tools
and the "easy intitial set-up" and so forth.  No mention is made of
whether such-and-such distro is easy to maintain over time, or is stable,
or secure (which even home users must pay attention to now that many
are getting DSL lines and cable modems).  And this is an area where
Corel has spent effort making it easy to install Debian.  If possible,
we should make use of the fruits of these efforts (though there may
be odious licensing issues from Corel).

So, what we have here is really boorish behavior that leaves me with
feeling a bit negatively about Corel, but they are not (in my mind)
really "playing foul".  Just ill-mannered and ungrateful.

-Brent