Re: KDE not in Debian?

Joseph Carter wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 10:28:51AM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> > In particular, the GPL demands that any derived work be distributed in a
> > form which allows modification and redistribution of the modified work,
> > source and binary.  The GPL further defines 'source' in such a way that it
> > is clear that it includes the source to any required libraries. The QPL,
> > however, forbids distribution of modified source and binaries, except
> > under a few special conditions.
>
> you're missing QPL's 6(c) which essentially does not allow software which
> has not been released (to anyone) under the QPL.  That is just about
> impossible to enforce and also clashes with teh GPL.

I'm keeping this on the -devel list since developers need to know what
they can or can't do with Qt.

This opinion obout having to give up private modification to Troll Tech
is a myth, albeit a common myth. It can be cleared up by simply reading
the QPL instead of taking someone else's rumour as fact.

Section 6 says "...These items, when distributed, are subject to the
following requirements:"

The subsection in question (6c) says "...you must supply one."

Obviously, subsection 6c only applies if you are distributing
modifications. It doesn't care if you make any modifications for your
own use. The full QPL license can be read at <http://www.troll.no/qpl/>.

David Johnson