Re: KDE: a plan how to solve that

   Hi!

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 01:38:45PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Personal opinions vary on this, but at least someone in Debian (the person
> > who maintains the packages currently outside of Debian) wishes for Debian
> > to.  Debian's policy is generally if the maintainer wants to and can do so
> > (ie, licenses allow it), it can go into the archive under whatever section
> > the licensing situation would place it..
>
> I actually talked with him a while ago about that; he promised to upload
> new packages once a new KDE snapshot was released so we could take a
> look at them and verify the licenses.. unfortunately it seems he hasn't
> done that yet.

Then forget my proposal for now. Its clearly too early, then.

Some of the recent discussions made me (incorrectly) believe, that Debian
thinks, they have some licensing problems of whatever kind with KDE2.0.
So my suggestion was: look what you can ship (with your interpretation of
the licenses) and ship that, thats far better than nothing.

However, that was making the second step before the first. Also note that
I personally can't follow Debians argumentation why there is even a problem.
But thats probably the reason I am studying computer science instead of law,
and so for me it's probably better to continue developing on KDE instead
of spending time on license discussions. ;)

   Cu... Stefan