Re: task-dialup-isdn

On Mon 24 Jan 2000, Alexander N. Benner wrote:

> > Currently task-dialup depends on:
> > anacron, diald, dialdcost, fetchmail, junkbuster, lynx, ppp, pppconfig,
> > wget, wvdial, wwwoffle, leafnode | news-transport-system, lftp
>
> What has anacron to do with network in general?
>
> wget also doesn't seem to be dialup specific.
>
> ok ... noone needs to install task-* packages, however I would like to for
> test and upgrad purpose. Anacron is a package I strongly dislike which is why
> I ask.

I guess the reasoning is that a dialup system probably isn't turned on
24/7, in which case anacron is a pretty useful thing to have. However,
that's assuming too much IMHO, and thus should be moved to
task-not-turned-on-all-the-time.

I also think that not lftp but a virtual package "ftp-client" should be
depended on. I swear by ncftp2 for example. I also think wwwoffle does
at least 95% of what junkbuster can, thus both together are a bit excessive.

BTW, what's your problem with anacron? I've never noticed it misbehaving
or whatever, so that I'd be led to strongly disliking it.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/