Re: missing FHS archives

Previously Jonathan Walther wrote:
> Instead of being slammed for inventing conspiracies where none would exist,
> I would be perfectly happy to be proven wrong by someone providing
> a link to such archives.  As so many of you eloquently put, my comments
> about /usr/libexec make me seem like an idiot because "its not in the FHS".

You haven't even asked on the FHS mailinglist so you don't seem to have
searched very long. The FHS website is http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
and I assume there is a link to archives on there as well. If not you
can always ask on the FHS mailinglist (fhs-discuss@ucsd.edu).

> It just seems so confusing to be mixing up executable programs with
> shared loadable libraries.  A clear mixing of function.  Or I could
> just have FreeBSD braindamage.

I really don't see the use.. if I follow your logic then /usr/lib should
be just libraries. Okay, but now I have a program that uses a couple
of bitmaps in its userinterface.. lets make /usr/libbitmap then! Oh, wait,
there are some audio effects. I guess we need to make /usr/libaudio as well
then. But now we decide we need some static datafiles from which we
extract information, so lets make /usr/libdata as well. And while we're at
it why not do /usr/libhelp as well?

As you see this quickly becomes extremely silly. Also consider the
difference between a library and a helper binary is really very minimal:
they are both ELF objects that contain code that a program needs. The
only difference is that one is linked into the binary and the other is
run as a seperate process.

Wichert.

 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| wichert@liacs.nl                    http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |