Re: /etc/profile should include sbin in PATH

On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 06:28:22PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Brian May wrote:
> >      This program is intended for use in network testing, measurement and man-
> >      agement.  It should be used primarily for manual fault isolation.  Be-
> >      cause of the load it could impose on the network, it is unwise to use
> >      traceroute during normal operations or from automated scripts.
>
> I wonder how long ago that paragraph was written.. 10 or 15 years?
> Traceroute places no real load on today's networks; pulling up slashdot is
> worse, mtr is far worse (and has the same purpose, and oddly resides in
> /usr/bin/), and let's not even talk about a networked game of quake, or real
> player, etc, etc.

Well, I'm not moving mtr.

Here's my rationale:

As we all know, the golden rule of UNIX is do it at a user. For me, this
means I do a lot of administrative functions (including network diagnostics)
under my user account. This is why mtr and traceroute are suid root.

Either take the suid bit off traceroute or move it to /usr/bin.

My vote is strongly for the latter.
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@debian.org
"Anybody else wanna negotiate?" -- The Fifth Element