Re: Looking for someone to take over gnome-libs...

Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> writes:
> I think you should make a reasonable judgment.

Well, I was trying to give people an idea of what my basis for
judgement was.

> But I don't think prefacing the offer with 'you'd better make sure
> you can prove that you've already handled a major package' is a good
> way to encourage new developers. (Or how should one work on a
> non-trivial package if the requirement is previous experience with a
> non-trivial package?)

Well if that's the exact wording I sent, perhaps it was not worded as
well as it could have been---although I must also say that I've "given
away" too many packages that I found myself still giving bug reports
about six months later because the new maintainer never did anything
with them.

So I'm not certain that a little disincentive for the faint-of-heart
isn't perhaps warranted.

However, I guess I ultimately assumed (although we all know the old
saw about that, so I suppose that I have to say a mea culpa on that as
well) that everyone realizes that the most obvious, compelling proof
of ability is presenting fait accompli: "I can do this, see, I _have
done it_".

Heck, I'm hardly a new developer, but that's exactly how I ended up
with gnome-libs---it needed doing, I did it.

_Anyone_ can do that.  And if someone does, the package is theirs, no
questions asked.  Anyone who shows that he or she can do the work
isn't going to get any flak from me even if they just got in the
keyring yesterday.

So if anyone was uncertain about whether I might find them too
inexperienced, you now know the ultimate criterion.  If you fix the
bugs, it's yours.

Mike.