Re: /etc/profile should include sbin in PATH

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

> As I recall, the hurd does away with the "separate directories"
> nonsense altogether.  No /usr/games, /usr/X????/bin, /etc, /bin,
> /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/local/sbin, /usr/local/bin, just
> plain old, simple /bin.  Of course I think they probably have a much
> fancier understructure to support this (like mergable directories or
> similar).

Don't go citing the Hurd here.  The hurd gets rid of all those
separate directories and reduces it to two: /bin, /sbin.  (And /hurd,
and /libexec.)  The difference is precisely what context they are
called in.  /bin are useful to ordinary users, /sbin are useful to
superuser, /hurd are normally executed as translators, /libexec are
not normally executed from a shell.

Thomas