Re: Differing lists of packages?

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 12:20:48AM +1100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> James A. Treacy wrote:
>
> > There is roughly a one hour time difference between the update of the
> > archive and the update of the web pages.
>
> The webpages are one hour before the archive?

The web pages update finishes about one hour after the archive.

> > That is not the problem in this case. In fact, there isn't really a
> > problem. The web pages expands any virtual dependencies (like libgl1).
> > This is what a user would want to see. In this case libgl1 is replaced
> > with mesag3 and mesag3-glide (mesag3-widgets is in the list due to a
> > mistake in packaging. It will be fixed in the next upload of the package).
>
> Really? My examination of the Packages files reveals that there is
> no such thing as libgl1. Is that coming with the next upload also?

You are correct, there is no package libgl1. Note that it was referred to
as a virtual dependency (usually called a virtual package). Virtual
packages are easiest explained by an example. A lot of packages provide
a web browser. Instead of having to keep a long, constantly changing, list
packages simply depend on web-browser. Any package supplying a web browser
will 'Provides: web-browser' and thus satisfy the dependency. This same
mechanism is use for package supplying the OpenGL api. The virtual package
is libgl1.

> What time of day is the dinstall usually done?

Not positive. I generally finishes around 2330 UTC though.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org