Re: Possible solution to Netscape crashing problem (was Re: Release-critical Bugreport for January 7, 2000)

gsstark@mit.edu (Greg Stark) wrote:
>Stefan Gybas <stefan@gybas.com> writes:
>> The libc6 version of Netscape crashes when you close one of its
>> windows or try to quit the program since the X libs were compiled
>> using egcs/gcc 2.95.
>
>Unfortunately that's the least of the problems. For many people it
>crashes whenever you start Java, run javascript while it's decoding a
>gif, or just randomly every few minutes (if you're lucky).
>
>There seems to be very little pattern between who it crashes for and
>who it doesn't. But I just got a hunch, People who find the glibc
>netscape unusably unstable or totally rock solid: How fast a net
>connection do you have?

Can't help you with glibc, but as for libc5:

I have an Ethernet connection, and Netscape (Communicator 4.7, libc5
.deb) can be relied upon to crash whenever I start Java. Otherwise, I
find it mostly stable, though it has hung my X server once or twice; I
haven't pinned down the reasons.

--
Colin Watson                                           [cjw44@cam.ac.uk]