Re: Release-critical Bugreport for January 7, 2000

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, BugScan reporter wrote:

> Package: gaby (debian/main)
> Maintainer: Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org>
>   53834  gaby: 1.9.6 is _really_old, NMU proposed

Fixed. 1.9.15 upload by upstream developer.  I shall probably upload my
own version of 1.9.15 before the freeze, so that I'm marked as maintainer
for potato.

> Package: gpasman (non-US/main)
> Maintainer: Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org>
> [REMOVE] This package can be removed if it is not fixed.
>   43061  gpasman segfaults when opening database
> [WAITING] Maintainer was contacted on Dec 12, awaiting reply.
>   51270  gpasman: scrambles database when a bad password used
> [WAITING] Maintainer was contacted on Dec 12, awaiting reply.

I'm the true maintainer of this package.  I uploaded 1.3.0 yesterday, but
it doesn't, sadly, solve these issues.

I have it in mind to downgrade the bugs to normal, since I think the
package does deserve to be in potato.

43061: This is a bug, yes.  But since I don't think gpasman 1.0 was
included in any release of debian, it won't affect many people.

51270: This is a design flaw, as far as I can see.  But it doesn't mean
that gpasman isn't a useful program.  If you chmod 600 ~/.gpasman, then
there is no security danger here...

Briefly, whilst both of these are annoying bugs, I think that gpasman is a
useful program which conveniently does a job, and I'd like to see it in
potato.  Comments?

> Package: iceconf (debian/main)
> Maintainer: Jules Bean <jules@debian.org>
> [REMOVE] This package can be removed if it is not fixed.
>   39251  iceconf: iceconf uses old workspace commands
> [HELP] Could be fixed now...?
> [WAITING] Maintainer was contacted on Dec 12, awaiting reply.

I've been informed that this package has functionality more-or-less
duplicated by icepref. Iceconf is unmaintained upstream, so I'm inclined
to say 'Remove from potato'.  However, if it has keen supporters, please
speak up and we'll come to another solution. (It needs a new upstream
maintainer, really)

> Package: maelstrom (debian/non-free)
> Maintainer: Christoph Baumann <cgb@debian.org>
>   53159  old dependency

Hmm. Maelstrom was (re-)released as GPL recently.  I should file a bug
here.  It would be nice to have it moved to main for potato.

Jules