Re: Debian Weekly News - January 4th, 2000

On Jan 05, Michael Beattie wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 07:57:24PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Anyone who recently installed a fresh Debian system using the potato
> > boot floppies has a severely broken system that is open to numerous
> > exploits due to [21]permissions problems. The boot-floppies team has
> > fixed the problem, and it's likely very few people are affected, since
> > few people have tried the potato boot floppies yet. Work on the boot
> > floppies continues, on many fronts.
>
> Which date is on the borked floppies? I installed a system recently with the
> xx-xx-2000 ones, and they worked perfectly... where is the permission
> problem? (so I can fix it)

I think it was in 2.2.3.  I know the "borked" version was released in
late December, so it looks like you're safe.  Check the debian-boot
archives for December & January to make sure (look for "busybox tar
permissions problem" or some such).

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence        |          It's 2/3 of a beltway...          |
|   <quango@watervalley.net>   |       http://www.lordsutch.com/tn385/      |
|   Grad Student, Pol. Sci.    |   Visit the Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5:   |
|  University of Mississippi   |   <*> http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/ <*>   |