Re: Bad permissions on /tmp

    >>  So ... the conclusion is that you must never dpkg-deb -x a
    >> source file into /tmp, as root (or any other place where you
    >> don't want the permissions to be changed). If so, this sounds
    >> like a serious "gotcha" that is rather unexpected.
    >>
    >> However, I thought most (if not all) source tar files never
    >> contain the ./ directory, so I am puzzled as how it could
    >> happen.

    Joey> dpkg-deb -x acts on .deb files; _all_ .deb files contain a
    Joey> . directory.

Ooops! I thought that was "dpkg-source". Still, it is something a
don't particular like, and as I infrequently use dpkg-deb -x, it could
really catch me by surprise and damage permissions, as illustrated
in this thread.

However, after thinking about it, I am not sure there is any easy way
to "fix" the problem. eg, even if an option was used to tell tar not
to extract ./ (is this possible? anything seems possible with gnu
tar!)  - I probably wouldn't remember to use it ;-).

I am assuming that dpkg-deb somehow uses tar to uncompress the deb
file, not sure if this is accurate or not.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>