Re: Bad permissions on /tmp

[CC'ing tar maintainer as a courtesy]

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 12:51:44PM -0500, Bob Hilliard wrote:
>      After upgrading my potato box from a 12/31/99 mirror I found the
> permissions on /tmp were drwxr-xr-x .  This prevented gnus from
> writing a temporarya file when it tied to send mail.  I'm sure I
> didn't change them manually.  I have reset them to drwxrwxrwt, which
> stops the problem.
>
>      Just a heads-up to check the permissions on /tmp after upgrading.
> I don't know which package caused this.

You didn't happen to untar anything in /tmp, did you?

I've noticed by way of dpkg-source -x that the perms of the "." directory
in a tarfile clobber the ones on the actual current directory.

Yes, this is a bug IMO, but I don't know if it has been reported.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |            You live and learn.
Debian GNU/Linux               |            Or you don't live long.