Re: New-Maintainer

On Monday 3 January 2000, at 0 h 55, the keyboard of Nate Duehr
<nate@natetech.com> wrote:

> 1) New-Maintainers is closed.

It is for a long time and one of the things I really dislike in this matter is
that it was closed several *months* before it was publicly admitted!

> 2) There is a sponsorship program going on, which while on the website
> as "official" is listed nowhere in the Consitution.

Grassroot initiative by Raphaël Hertzog.

> 4) Sponsored packages are officially maintained by the sponsor, not the
> original developer who packaged it, in the eyes of Debian.

Note that packages.debian.org displays the real maintainer.

> 7) The Debian Developer's Reference makes NO comment about any of this.

People at new-maintainer do not do their jobs, other people have to act,
wether it is written in the Debian Developer's Reference or not.

> #3 means that those of us either being sponsored, or as in my own case,
> one who's already contacted a developer and asked to be sponsored, are
> in a precarious state.

Unfortunately, yes. Several sponsors are a bit overloaded and do not have the
time to do a proper "tutor" job. That's why the whole idea of "internship" is
broken. The sponsorship program is therefore a good way to test new
new-maintainers schemes.

> #4 I could be wrong on this one, but I think it does mean that bug reports
> go to the wrong person,

No, no. If the sponsor did the right thing (documented on the sponsorship
page), the real maintainer will receive the bug reports. See #47976, for
instance. I'm the sponsor, but you will not see my name.