Re: New-Maintainer

Nate Duehr wrote:
> As far as #1 goes, that was done by the Project Leader and he's well
> within his Debian Constitutional rights to do it.

Well, no, it was done by the New Maintainer team itself - however the
Project Leader also wasn't able to come up with a proper solution at
that time.  There was at least some silent agreement.

> The analogy that comes to mind is that the Debian Castle has been built
> and now all the builders are holed up inside with everyone else standing
> at the moat with the drawbridge up.  Some brave folks put ladders up and
> scaled the walls (it wasn't easy, and at least no one inside was
> shooting at them, in fact they helped them make the ladders!) to get in
> and help continue the ongoing construction inside the Castle.  Many of
> the inhabitants of the Castle are showing signs of denial, others are
> blaming the King, and still others are smuggling people in over the wall
> as fast as they can.

Interesting metapher, but I would like to correct it a little bit.
The walls on which some brave folks put ladders on were of improper
consistence so they may break down when too many ladders will be
placed at them or too many people will walk on them.  The same applies
for the ground that goes slimy all around the castle and also within
it.  So the housekeepers decided that there need to be some
restructuring of the basement and the walls before more people would
be allowed to join, otherwise the whole castle will fall into itself,
burrying hundreds of brave people.

> Why have Debian's developers allowed new-maintainers to be closed for
> so long.  Many are willing to blame the leadership, but in my
> reading of the Constitution, it would appear that ANY developer with a

Many people are willing to [bf]lame some core people but are not
willing or able to work on the real problems.

If you want to help Debian, please take a look at the bug reports and
try to get some older or important bugs fixed by providing a proper
patch to the BTS.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Never trust an operating system you don't have source for!