Re: /usr/etc and /usr/local/etc?

Steve Bowman <sbowman@goodnet.com> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 07:53:42PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> > goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de wrote:
> > > Think about a pool of 100 diskless terminals all having a copy of
> > > /etc/resolve.conf and many other files in etc. Now consider changing
> > > the nameserver for the terminals. Its a problem of space and
> > > administrativ work that makes me want a /usr/etc or
> > > /etc/share. At the moment one has to copy the shareable files to
> > > /etc/share and symlink them in /etc.
> >
> > No, this is what NIS is for.
>
> Exactly and it is seamlessly integrated with nsswitch.conf lookups.
> However, it *is* limited to files that have lookup keys available -
> e.g., passwd works fine but init.d scripts probably can't use this.

So I should setup NIS for one and only one Server to copy one file to
100 subdirs each time the file changes? I don´t thing NIS was ment for
single server systems. The diskless maschines usually don´t have write
access to the system files and thus aren´t even able to run NIS to
update their configs.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin