Re: /usr/etc and /usr/local/etc?

On 5 Oct 1999 goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de wrote:

> Date: 05 Oct 1999 23:39:05 +0200
> From: goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de
> To: Richard Kaszeta <kaszeta@me.umn.edu>
> Cc: Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.north.de>, debian-devel@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: /usr/etc and /usr/local/etc?
>
> Richard Kaszeta <kaszeta@me.umn.edu> writes:
>
> > Martin Schulze writes ("Re: /usr/etc and /usr/local/etc?"):

> > >Because configuration belongs to /etc.  Period.
>
> Good point, but etc blows up to quite a size and can´t be shared
> across hosts.

> > Config files are, by their nature, host-specific, and should not be in
> > /usr
>
> They are not. e.g. /etc/hosts should be the same across a pool. Nearly
> all files in /etc can be shared and none should be rewritten on the
> fly.

This is what NIS and NIS+ are for, to share these files across hosts.  A lot of
UNIX derived systems end up modifying the normal placement of files because a
few people feel they have a "better" way to do things.  The end result is the
mess /etc has become over the years.  I would LOVE to see /etc become
configuration files only, with NO binaries in there at all.  To be able to do an
rgrep in /etc to find a config, and never have binary "garbage" fly across the
screen would make life a LOT easier.  Programs such as gated which install
themselves in /etc as the default also drive me crazy.  Now, back on topic, if
you need to share a file NIS/NIS+ will work.  Someone else may have a better
solution, such as Samba.

							David Bristel