Re: Unstable release

On Tue, 05 Oct 1999, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> > If I could just get it installed properly (I run it at home,
> > but had to do a lot of manual tuning, and adding all packages
> > I wanted using dpkg --force*
>
> NO, NO, NO, this is not redhat.com! Do this on a Debian only if you really
> know what you are doing or you may destroy your system.

As far as I can see there is often not another way to do it.
Ie., program complains over a lib that is too old. If you try
to install the lib it complains over that there is already an
old version there. That's one of the problems I've encountered
quite a lot of times with Debian, and one of the times I've had
to use the force options.
As for the problem with conflicting library versions or whatever
you risk getting into when using --force*, I find that to be
a smaller problem than the problems I get when dpkg complains
about old versions that risk being overwritten.

Btw, is it possible to tell dpkg to install all dependencies
automagically?

/Staffan