Re: Unstable release

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 02:12:08PM +0200, Staffan Hämälä was heard to say:
> > NO, NO, NO, this is not redhat.com! Do this on a Debian only if you really
> > know what you are doing or you may destroy your system.
>
> As far as I can see there is often not another way to do it.
> Ie., program complains over a lib that is too old. If you try
> to install the lib it complains over that there is already an
> old version there. That's one of the problems I've encountered
> quite a lot of times with Debian, and one of the times I've had
> to use the force options.

  Could you give an example?  I'm vague here on what your problem is.

> As for the problem with conflicting library versions or whatever
> you risk getting into when using --force*, I find that to be
> a smaller problem than the problems I get when dpkg complains
> about old versions that risk being overwritten.
>
> Btw, is it possible to tell dpkg to install all dependencies
> automagically?
>
> /Staffan

  apt is for dependency resolution.  Use it.  (if there's a reason you can't use
it, file bug reports until you can :) )

  Daniel

--
DROP THE SCYTHE AND TURN AROUND SLOWLY.