Re: PGP/GPG Keys

On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 12:39:50PM +0200, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:
> > > Is it possible to use a key created by pgp5 for package signing ? The
> > > key works for me when I use it with gpg, both the opposite is not true
> > > (e.g. pgp5 is unable to verify a signature created with a gpg key). I am
> > > no maintainer yet and so I want to start cleanly. What is the "right"
> > > way if I want to use gpg and pgp5 and communicate with people using pgp5
> > > ? Can I create a gpg key usable by pgp5 or is it possible to use the
> > > pgp5 key for administrative purposes ?
> > > I really want to revoke my rsa key and use only one key for all
> > > purposes.
> >
> > By default gpg will use OpenPGP sigs.  This is probably your problem.
> > Yes, you can import the pgp5 key into gpg and use it directly.  There's
> > also some documentation on how to get gpg to generate pgp5 compatible
> > sigs in the manpage.
> So it is ok to use a pgp5 created key (gpg works with it) to sign
> packages ? I would like to use a pgp5 key because even if pgp5 can read
> gpg-key signatures, I think it is impossible to use a gpg key with pgp5.
> This is something I want to do because I have to work under Windows
> sometimes (therefore forced to use pgp5).

PGP5 and GnuPG share a common key format (DSA/ElGammal) but they're stored
differently in the keyrings.  Example:

gpg --export 0xSomeKeyID | pgpk -a
pgpk -x 0xSomeKeyID | gpg --import

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>             Debian GNU/Linux developer
GnuPG: 2048g/3F9C2A43 - 20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3