Re: slink -> potato

On Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 10:26:52PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> Ah. Your problem is probably telnetd's prerm:
>
> ] if command -v update-inetd >/dev/null 2>&1; then
> ]        update-inetd --disable telnet
> ] fi
>
> It might be better to bracket this with an `if [ "$1" != "upgrade" ]', or
> similar. Herbert, does that sound right?

No, during the upgrade, inetd should not try to start new copies of telnetd
because it may not be there or it may not be executable (e.g., shlibs that
it depends on may be missing).  Thus it must be disabled as is done with all
daemons per the policy.  However, this does not stop any existing telnet
connections so it should not be a problem.

If anyone has seen an existing connection die, please report that as a bug.

> ssh strikes me as much better thing to use for remote updates, though :)

AFAIK ssh does exactly the same thing in its prerm.