Re: slink is gone, goals for potato?

On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 06:06:14PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Michael Stone wrote:
> > How long are we going to keep grousing about crappy modem speeds? Ten
> > years from now, are we still going to worry about the poor slobs who
> > don't have fiber to the desktop?
>
> Don't get me started about crappy modem speeds. A lot of us live in
> Europe, where we pay for phonelines per second for lots of money. A
> simple comparison: I seem to pay the same for being about 1 to 2 hours
> online every day as someone in the US would pay for a permanent
> connection.

The point is that it's not right to make a dramatic change that would
benefit one group on the theory that the people it would inconvenience
don't matter. Especially if the basis of the argument is the
ever-changing balance between processor and connection speeds.

Mike Stone

P.S. Don't feel so bad, our legislators (and the big money that pays
them) are furiously trying to come up with reasons we should pay more.
With any luck, the phone companies' billing structure will collapse
under it's own rate, and we can all get decent service.