Re: slink is gone, goals for potato?

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 05:24:15AM +0100, Hartmut Koptein wrote:

> > > Only for the install disk, or also for our packages?
> >
> > Neither I think: bzip2 is a lot slower then gzip, and would probably
> > be to slow for older machines (installing the basesystem on a Mac SE/030
> > already takes about 25 minutes).
>
> I was thinking about the *orig.tar.gz and *diff.gz, not for the packages.
> This gives us some more space on mirrors and on our source-cd.

Why not for packages? I think the majority of people have faster machines
rather than slower. How long are we going to keep this up? I mean in 5 years
from now are we still gonna be worried about the 4 people out there running
386s? I hope not. No offense, but there is no need for this. A 486 is gonna
be slow whether its gzipped or bzip2ed, what about us poor modem users? Not
everyone has T1 to their house you know.

--
|Stephen Crowley      stephenc@wf.net, crow@debian.org      |