Re: Bug #32888: The old `base' package.

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 03:16:41AM +0200, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 07:12:06PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > There.  I've caught you at it.  It doesn't matter to you which side of an
> > issue you play, so long as it wastes people's time an bandwidth.
>
> And you (and a couple of other Debian developers) seem to be on a personal
> crusade against Santiago.  Why is that?  I am yet to find a decent reason
> for it.

Wait until you have a package, he makes a "suggestion", and you decide to
reject it for practical or technical reasons.  He wil attempt to move
heaven and earth in an effort to change your mind.  This means long,
drawn-out exchanges in email (that is, if you feel a responsibility for
explaining your decisions, grounded as they are in practical reason.)

Sometimes, you manage convince him; you are able to marshal enough
evidence, after hundreds of lines of explanation, to convince him that he
is indeed wrong.  Then his only response is typically a terse "Fine.".
Otherwise, he'll just argue.  And argue.  And argue.  It is not just a
tiresome process, it is detrimental to the project, for it takes time and
energy away from making the distribution better (which, he always asserts,
is his only goal).

Furthermore, in my opinion, there is always an overriding tone in
Santiago's emails that implies he knows better than you do.  It doesn't
matter if it's your package, with which you have far more experience than
he.  Most of the time, it seems Santiago can only believe people can
disagree with him, or the way he would do something, because they are
malicious or stupid.

It is very, very tiring and aggravating to deal with a person like this.

> Tell me, does not the fact that the old base package is "Essential: yes"
> and the old fonts packages are not, make these issues incommensurable?

Not to Santiago, with respect to the amount person attention he seemed to
give them each.  I have received 51 personal emails so far this year from
Santiago (this doesn't count the filing of bug reports), and roughly 25 to
30 of them are about the X font and static library packages, and how he
doesn't like how I've handled them.  How would *YOU* like to be harassed to
that degree?

Certainly, the base package issue is more important than the one of the X
font and static library packages.  But from my perspective, it is just the
latest toy of a teething dog.  Santiago seems to expend very little of his
prodigious reserves of energy helping to fix, say, release-critical bugs.

Heck, he had a security hole in one of his packages (procmail), and failed
to upload to frozen when he had the chance (in the wake of the slink
release delay last week).  Instead, he just made a perfunctory upload to
unstable and went back about trying to stage manage other people's
packages.

Does that answer your question?

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    If a man ate a pound of pasta and a
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    pound of antipasto, would they cancel