Re: slink release delayed

Steve Dunham <dunham@cse.msu.edu> writes:

> John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu> writes:
>
> > 	I'm not sure the kernel source for 2.2.1 should be there.
> > It had a nasty bug that hung the kernel when doing alot of disk I/O.
> > Leaves the partition in a mess when you reboot too.  What I am saying
> > is that no one should run 2.2.1 .
>
> I haven't seen this yet (I've been building CDs for the last 2 weeks on a
> sparc with a 2.2.1 kernel with one IDE and three SCSI drives).

	Well, it was a well known bug on the kernel mailing list and
affected quite a few people.  I ran 2.2.1 for about a week with no
problems.  I copied some  multi-hundred MB trees around.
When I tried to copy a particular 500 MB tree from one
disk to another , the kernel hung.  This was reproducible.

	I don't know if the bug is i386 specific.  It would
certainly be a good idea to have at least one kernel source
that produces a bootable kernel  for the sparc platform !

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>