Re: slink is gone, goals for potato?

Ben Aitchison <theone@ihug.co.nz> writes:

   On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 01:04:43AM -0500, Ben Pfaff wrote:
   > How can you fit an X-server on a floppy?  I'm using the kernel 2.2.x
   > framebuffer support.  It should work on almost anything with my VGA
   > 640x480x16 kernel driver[*].  And it should be able to fit on a single
   > floppy, or at most two.

   That won't support hercules, cga or ega.  But I suppose that'd be
   okay, as long as there is still a text mode install option.

My thought is that a graphical interface will be good public
relations.  Many people I know see a graphical interface and say
`cool!' even if it's useless.  But they're turned off by a textual
interface even if it's very functional.  Good first impressions are a
good thing.  Since it's aimed at newbies anyway, it doesn't have to
work on old systems.

Hercules support is actually a cool idea.  Does anyone have a card
they want to send me?  (I'm about half-serious about this.)
--
"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user'
 as meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."